AHIP currently is hiring for the following position.
Job Title: Laborer/Carpenter’s Helper
Crew Leader and/or Production Manager
General Definition of Work
The Laborer/Carpenter’s Helper is responsible for the efficient implementation of construction tasks assigned by the crew leader and/or production manager.
- Performs construction tasks assigned by the crew leader
- Assists crew leader and carpenter with the ordering and purchasing of construction materials
- Assists crew leader and carpenter in the training and coordination of volunteers as needed
- Assists crew leader and carpenter in ensuring AHIP safety policies are followed
- Assists crew leader and carpenter in ensuring AHIP vehicles, tools, and equipment are cared for and used appropriately
- Performs additional tasks as deemed necessary and assigned by the crew leader, production manager, carpenter, and/or any other AHIP employee or volunteer
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to learn and understand local, state, and HUD building standards
- Ability to learn and perform simple and complex construction activities
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Hold a valid Virginia driver’s license and ability to drive a manual transmission are required
- Training in lead safe work practices will be provided
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school. A minimum of one year of construction experience is preferred.
Physical Condition and Nature of Work Contacts
Work is approximately 95 percent on job sites and 5 percent in an office. Occasional travel to training/conference sites may be required. Lifting of equipment and materials up to 50 pounds is necessary. Regular personal contact with clients as well as with representatives of federal, state, and local agencies will be required.
All contacts require tact, diplomacy, and discretionary judgment.
Contact Ella Jordan in the AHIP office with questions, 434.817.2447 x21 or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
AHIP replaced my hot water tank, so we can brush our teeth in the bathroom and not in the kitchen. The workers who came to my house were very nice, very polite, and got the job done. Thank you, AHIP, for all you do!”
— Brenda in Schuyler